Spicy Spaghetti Squash
1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 12 ounces ground white meat turkey or lean ground beef
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside. (I microwave the squash according to the directions on the sticker)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the meat and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the capers, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.