2012 is ready to be put to bed and a new year is fast approaching with new hope, new goals, and a a new story to write. Lets start the New Year off right and commit to exploring a better way to eat. Anyone who has been a member of a CrossFit gym for more than 2 seconds has heard the rumblings of the Paleo Diet. In a nutshell the Paleo Diet is eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era. These foods include fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut and flaxseed). Dairy products, cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars and processed foods were not part of our ancestral menu.
So, how does this relate to the Whole 30 plan and how do you jump on the bandwagon?
The Whole 30 Diet was created by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig in 2009 as an experiment to follow a super-strict nutritional plan for 30 days to document how it would affect their athletic performance. The results were life changing and they have since made it their business to help others share in nutritional success. The Whole 30 program is a commitment to 30 days of eating real high quality food consisting of meat, vegetables, fruit and good fats. Starting in January 2013 they are collaborating with CrossFit Love in Philadelphia to provide some fantastic resources to help anyone and everyone interested in taking the Whole 30 journey. We couldn't think of a better time to bring our members on board and create our own success stories at CrossFit Valley Park. SO, instead of approaching this like a contest with winners and losers, we believe we can all win with this plan and have decided to set up our own Whole 30 movement at CrossFit Valley Park for anyone ready to commit to positive nutrional changes.
The CFVP Whole 30 Challenge - Step by Step:
1. Research the plan to decide if you are two feet in ready to commit. For the Whole 30 to be effective there is no dabbling, you need to be prepared to follow the program to the letter for 30 days, no cheating!
Go to The Whole 30 January Challenge
for all the specifics on the Whole 30 plan and the fantastic resources that are available to us including :
- The Whole 30 Program Rules
- Free PDF guide with meal planning, shopping lists, etc
- Free Whole 30 Forum - Connect with others doing the program, get support and advice, ask all the questions you want, and allow our awesome members and moderators to give you some much-needed accountability.
- The Whole 30 Daily Newsletter - Receive an email for every day of your program, packed with helpful information, motivation, and fun little “rewards” for making it through another day.
- CrossFit Love Blog - Visit this blog for a new article every single day during the January Whole30. Let Whole30 experts, top Paleo chefs, and your favorite bloggers keep you motivated and entertained every day of your program!
3. Start talking this up with the other members and lets get a big group on board. The more people we have going through this journey together, the more support we will have to keep us all in check, share tips, help each other in moments of weakness, and create a positive vibe.
4. Pick a Whole 30 Buddy - yes, I said buddy. You are not required to do this, but we think having a partner in crime will help with your success. Pick someone who you can text, facebook, call, and feel comfortable harassing. Share recipes, check in with each other, cook double recipes and share food - get creative! Figure out as a team how you are going to stay on course and make this Whole 30 experience successful.
5. Pick a start date. The support of the daily email newsletters, the Crossfit Love blog, and the Whole 30 forum starts January 1. You can start any day between January 1st and January 18th. We will have the body fat tank out to CFVP on January 17th and a sign up sheet will be on the bulletin board in the gym. The Whole 30 "Contest" will be on through the beginning of March when the Crossfit Open workouts are scheduled to begin. If performance is your goal and you see success after the first 30 days we are encouraging everyone to extend their Whole 30 eating through the Open workouts and represent CFVP by participating in the CrossFit Games Open Competition.
6. Log your progress and share your experiences through our facebook page. If you have recipes you would like to post on this blog, email a picture and the recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will post it.
7. We will plan two pot luck dinners for members to bring in their favorite dishes - stay tuned for dates.
8. On February 16th and 23rd at 12pm we will have retest days to weigh in and retest performance numbers. At the end of our Challenge we are asking that you complete a questionnaire describing your experiences, what changes were made, and summarizing your story. We will post these stories and let the members decide who has made the most significant changes. You will vote for the Challenge Winners.
9. Put your money where your mouth is. Bring in $25 and sign up on the WHOLE 30 CHALLENGE SIGN UP SHEET on the bulletin board. Half of the money will go to the team that is voted "MOST IMPROVED" and half will go towards and end of challenge party.
Ok, what do you have to lose but some body fat and minutes off your WOD times - come join the WHOLE 30 CHALLENGE!!