If you have stumbled across this page, welcome to my Paleo Journey Blog . I am a health and fitness enthusiast who in NO way is an expert in nutrition or health science. I do, however, LOVE to eat and am happy to share the good, bad, and ugly of my expirimenting through the jungle of Paleo cooking. Please let me know what you think of the recipes posted by adding a rating in the comments section and feel free to send in new recipes through email.



Monday, January 31, 2011

Salmon with Mango Salsa and Sauteed Spinach

Have I told you how much I am loving my new mini non-stick pan I got at Dierberg's the other day? It is probably about 6 inches in diameter and the perfect size for single size paleo meals, which happen frequently in my house of carb-lovers. Tonight I cooked a piece of salmon (you can by individually vacuun sealed fillets by the bag just about anywhere) in my handy little pan. Since it is non stick I simply put the thawed fish in, covered with a lid and flipped after 5 minutes or so. When it is almost done I added some mango salsa on top and replaced the lid to heat up the salsa and steam the fish. Easy and tastes great! Along with this I had the sauteed spinach recipe listed below:

Sauteed Spinach with Pecans and Goat Cheese

2 tbspn olive oil
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
1 1/4 lbs baby spinach
2 Tbspn sherry vinegar
1/2 cup pecans toasted and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spinach; cook, tossing until spinach has started to wilt about 2 min. Transfer to a serving platter. Add vinegar to skillet, and heat for 5 seconds. Drizzle over spinach and onion. Sprinkle with pecans and goat cheese and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Other ideas for spinach - sub garlic, pinenuts and chopped apple for onion and pecans(pictured)

Fun Facts on Spinach:

  • Loads of vitamin K, essential for blood clotting and bone health.
  • high doses of B6 and C as well as folate and magnesium
  • to get the most of spinach's fat-soluble nutrients, cook the greens with a healthy fat, such as olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment