If you have stumbled across this page, welcome to my Paleo Journey Blog . I am a health and fitness enthusiast who in NO way is an expert in nutrition or health science. I do, however, LOVE to eat and am happy to share the good, bad, and ugly of my expirimenting through the jungle of Paleo cooking. Please let me know what you think of the recipes posted by adding a rating in the comments section and feel free to send in new recipes through email.



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why Sunflower butter?

I have had a couple people ask me why I prefer sunflower butter over peanut butter. Well, first off, I was turned on to sunflower butter last year when we did our first Paleo challenge at the gym. Peanuts are considered a legume, which are restricted on the Paleo Diet. I tried both almond butter and sunflower butter, both acceptable alternatives, but found I simply like the taste on sunflower butter better. In researching the differences it looks like sunflower butter is nutritionally better containing the following nutritional advantages:

  • 1/3 less saturated fat
  • 27% of Vitamin E per serving
  • huge protein, fiber, and iron content
  • antioxidents Vitaman E and selenium
  • B Vitamins
  • copper and zinc
  • folate and phytosterols (helps lower cholesterol)
  • high in linoleic acid
  • high in essential fatty acids

Here is the link to my source. http://www.differencebetween.net/

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I have been using almond butter but after reading your blog I think I may try sunflower butter :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete